Thursday, August 09, 2007

All in a day's work......

I continue to learn and grow in my new role as Reminiscence Coordinator. I think the training is done and the real party has begun, if that's what you want to call it. I sometimes work 12-15 hours a day(I used to think that was a really long) and even though that sounds like a lot of hours, it's really not. Not when you consider the quality you can offer the residents and staff in the time spent there. My boss continues to be awesome. She practices what she preaches and leads by example, motivating her staff to want to do the same.

The days can be hecktic but not one day have I wondered if I choose the right place. I know God had a hand in helping me find this job that best suits me, I can feel it. I could have been at Goodwill for 15 years and still not have gotten the satificaton on only a few month at this job.

The last couple weeks have been partucliarly crazy but maybe that's because the honeymoon has come to an end and I'm entering into a new journey. What started as a really quiet, peaceful setting is turning into a quite lively neighborhood. Not that that is bad. In a way it is quite good. Kinda like one of those places where there is never a dull moment. And except for when someone falls or one of the memory impaired individuals strikes out, life is good. Those little people just want someone to care. And interestingly enough, the families are just as needy. I can do that.

Today after spending 10 hours at work, I get a call. It seems the nurse had to call a family member about an insident report and they wanted to talk to the department head. That would be me. This family member is reeked with guilt because he works too much and doesn't visit his mother often. When he gets a call, even if it is a progress report, he immediately starts pointing fingers and finding fault.

I called him. All he really wanted is for someone to listen. To join his journey. He didn't want to leave his mother there but was unable to care for her himself. And the fact that she needed to be in a home and not in his care, he found it difficult to visit. Just a bit too close to home.

After listening to him for about 20 minutes, he apoligized for being rude and unkind, stating he only wnated what was best for his mother. After a little reasurance, I think he hung up feeling a better.

If only it were that easy to put our feeling to rest. Sometimes when we think things should be one way, and God wants them to be another way, we find it difficult to accept the outcome.Llife can be harder than we want it to be sometimes.

I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel putting my loved one in a community / facility and going home at night and be expected to sleep. With that being said, I really try to do a good job with the family members the families have entrusted us to care for.

I hope when I get old and end up in a home (if I'm l lucky enough to afford it), someone will put their heart into trying to make sure I am well cared for. No only clean, fed and dry but take the time to find out what kind of food and drink I like. Or that I like people but enjoy time alone. Or if my memory is fading, perserve my dignity and join my journey. What a difference it will makes in my quality of care.


Quote for the day: Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born. Dale Turner

God Bless and have a good night.

2 comments:

Judith said...

What a beautiful "from the heart" post, and how wise and kind you were to deal with the guilt ridden son as you did.

I am so glad you were strong enough to leave that other job behind you.

Andrea said...

I'm glad they have someone like you that cares. :)