Monday, August 13, 2007

Today, Tomorrow, Yesterday.......

I went to work all fired up today, list in hand, looking forward to a very productive day. I was going to get to that "to do" pile the continues to grow on my desk. I had lots of overdue calls to make. Well you get the idea, it was going to be busy today.

Do I need to tell you that my plan crumbled before I got in the building. A quick look around and I knew it was going to be a very full day. Several cars missing in the parking lot, the head nurse on vacation and my boss there before 9. Something was up.

My neighborhood was in good shape. I can't say the same for the other part of the building. They were down a coordinator (the manager) and two care managers, (that's the same as nurse aides in a nursing home). Me being the next manager in line, my first hour and a half was spent getting enough staff in the building to cover.

With that fire out, I thought the day would be smooth sailing, Not. At stand up I learned I would be the driver for the day. Now I don't really mind that but my plate was pretty full to start. I shelved that and moved forward. No since in fretting it. It was what it was.

The morning run was quick and easy. I still had time to get some on those call made. I wouldn't worry about it but they were reference calls to a couple people I hired. They were already in training and the answers to the messages I left on Thursday and Friday were still unanswered.
God must have been on my side. When I called I got through on every call.

I was able to Tweak and ISP for a resident who returned form the hospital on Friday. So the day wasn't turning out to be a total loss after all. Unfortunately, it was 1:00 and my body was screaming for something to eat and drink and I had another run at 1:30. Eat lunch or finish another project. You guessed it, I worked until time to take the last resident to their appointment. Turned out it was worth it.

Being downtown isn't my favorite place to be. Anymore, it isn't safe. Being the driver of the bus, I stayed with the bus while the care manager went with the resident. I drove around for an hour and twenty minutes waiting for them to get finished. In doing so I realized something. I haven't been in downtown for longer than I would like to think. Everything had changed. So much so that it was sometimes hard to find the landmarks than made it easy to detect what street was what. I found my self looking for the street signs . Something I never had to do being raised in this city.

Something else I realized. We really have some beautiful building in our downtown. Isn't it interesting how we go to other cities on vacations and take pictures of their building when I bet none of us could pull out a picture of our own building in our city. If I didn't know I was in Cincinnati today, I could have been anywhere. I saw building like what I saw today in Washington DC, Minnesota and even Florida.

Do I sound like I found some appreciation in my own city. You bet I did. I'm going to make a point of going downtown and just walk around, one of these days. I first have to get the world to slow down and let me off in order to have the time. I guess God knew I needed a little time to reflect and appreciate the beauty around me.

After the refreshing ride downtown, (I took the scenic route). I came back ready to get something done. And because it was already 4:30 a lot of the distractions were gone for the day. I didn't accomplish all I set out to do but tomorrow is another day. I'll just add to tomorrow what wasn't done today.

I went home with the promise of attending a 7:00 church meeting ( if was 6:55) but that didn't happen. And maybe it was for the best. I sometimes allow myself to get too worked up when I feel some people focus more on themselves that the job at hand. And I know, I need to pray about that.

Quote for the day: Today is the Tomorrow we worried about Yesterday.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Sounds like you're taking care of things at work real well. I commend you for how well you handled being short staffed.

With the caretaking shortage in so many places, I think we will be dealing with situations like this. But you held on to the main thing, your attitude, and even enjoyed the old city some, and that takes class!