Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Search Was On........

I came home to my blog tonight to vent my frestrations about what a tuff day I had. My frame of mind was not where it should have been to make a positive post so I decided to go visit my regular reads before posting. By the time I got back to my blog I had a renewed look on my day. Is that anything like counting to ten before you say something you will regret? Hmmmm.

I've always been told that working in the kind of job I have takes a special person. Most days, I don't feel that way. Today wasn't one of them. The day was just plan nuts! Lots of thorns. Was it a full moon, again? I didn't think so. Part of the problem could have been we were down two staff members and up five consumers, bringing the totals to about 10 to 1, when it should have been 5-6 to 1. I was glad to put the work day behind me.

Besides, it was a beautiful day and I didn't have to go to class and was looking forward to getting outside to work in the yard. Boy, does my yard need some TLC. I still had lots of tree limbs and the like littering the yard and was looking forward to get them cleaned up. I spent about an hour and a half working outside. I felt I was making some real progress. Then It Happened. Something really stupid. Are you ready?......

I was trimming the tree behind the shed when I through a limb over the fence into the compost pile. Now I had done this what, a hundred time this even alone. But.....the last limb, while throwing it, brushed my face and took my glasses with it, OVER THE FENCE. I froze. My mind was buzzing. I didn't want to step in any direction, just in case the glasses didn't go over the fence, but were laying at my feet. I looked but, needed my glasses to find my glasses.

I stood there looking over the fence for what seemed like 30 minutes but was probable about 10 minutes. I started to worry about what I would do if I didn't find them. And how much a new pair would cost. And the trouble of finding time for an eye exam........and on and on.

I decided I wasn't going to get upset about this. What were my options. My daughter and granddaughter were at a bible study. They were out. My son in law would just be getting home. If he didn't have anything else planned, he would come if I called. I called but got no answer. My mind continued to be a buzz worrying about what I couldn't do without those glasses. I called my daughter's cell, (she still had 10 minutes before her bible study started) who ensured me my son in law was home, try again.

After explaining my situation and how stupid I felt, he promised to come ASAP. I was worried that the day light wouldn't last. I continued to look, hoping I would find the glasses before he got here, but that didn't happen. He came and within five minutes he was able to locate them in the rubble, on the other side of the fence. The blessing was that they were found quickly and without a scratch on them. It could have been much harder. I was so relieved. What a great son in law. So patient. Always willing to help. I think I thanked him too many times but I was never so glad to see those glasses.

My grandson and I kicked a ball around while my son in law adjusted the seat on a big wheel for the little guy. When they left, there was still some day light left, but I was done outside for the day.

I came in and made some really good Chicken and Rice Soup. Nothing like Chicken Soup to make it all better.

I don't have a recipe for the soup. I just added until I thought I had enough. The ingredients I used were:

Chicken Rice Soup
Two cut up, stewed chicken breasts, (I cooked the other day)
The broth from the chicken plus 2 cups of water
1/2 a pack of frozen mixed vegetables, (I used oriental)
3/4 cup of rice
parsley, salt, pepper, sage. celery seed. touch of garlic.

I simmered about 30-40 minutes. Yummy!

The soup was a good way to end a ruff day. I froze a couple servings for when I am too busy to cook. I might even take some for lunch tomorrow.


Closing Quote: If your day is hemmed with prayer, it is less likely to unravel.

5 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

Ok, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but this story SO reminds me of the Christmas Story when Ralphie went out to test his BB gun for the first time. I can't just hear the words, "You'll shoot your eye out"...and you standing there like Ralph did at the moment his glasses fell to the ground.
Glad you have a super-duper SIL, and he was able to find them in a jiffy! And that soup sounds yummy!

Carolanne said...

I've often thought about taking out my frustrating days on my blog (readers) but like you, I'd go and visit other bloggers and by the time I got back to it, I'd changed my mind and my attitude.

Years ago, my husband wore contact lenses (when they weren't disposable and cost so much!) and we used to spend hours crawling over the floors looking for one that had dropped out of his hand when he was putting them away or putting them in. I am so glad your son-in-law found your glasses and without a scratch!

Lady Why said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so thankful your son-in-law was able to find your glasses! My husband wears glasses and he, too, wouldn't be able to find them if he didn't have them on!!

Thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog! I'm going to be an avid reader over here... I can already tell!

Judith said...

Sorry you had such a time, but thankful your glasses are o.k. When I have days like that, it's usually from stress or overload, or both. Thank Goodness they pass!

Barb said...

Boy, do I understand about the glasses. My biggest problem is trying to put on makeup. I can't put makeup on with glasses on my face and I can't see to put makeup on without glasses on my face. So my solution? I just don't wear makeup!

Glad you found yours. I can imagine how you felt when they went flying over the fence.