Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Nephew

I got a phone call last night from what I though was a very late telemarketer. It was long distance and usually when I get a call I don't recognize I simply don't answer it. Something told me to pick it up this time. Boy, am I glad I did. It was the nephew. I was tickled pink. He's in Iraq serving our country. 'myspace
The best part of this is he has tried to call "his Aunt Dee before and I wasn't home but he kept trying until he got me. He's really thoughtful like that.
He sounded really tired. Their eight hours later than we are so when he called it was about five in the morning. I felt special.
I ask him if he got a package that was sent and his answer was, You me the 131 boxes of Girl's Scout cookies. Nooooooooo, but I'm glad you got enough cookies to share. He said they receive approximately 3-5 hundred packages a day. My answer was, there should be a couple more from us.
I know he believed he was doing the right thing by joining the service but last night he was hard pressed in believing. He sounded different. He said he was really tired. I can't even wrap my mind around want he is going through on a daily basic.
'myspace
I tried to life his spirits. He wasn't buying it. His wife is expecting their first child and he won't be hope until it is three months old. The baby is due in May. He won't be home for a visit until August. My heart goes out to him.
Everyone who reads this, please take a moment and pray for the wonderful young men and women, and my nephew, who are fighting this war to ensure our freedom.
A Prayer from Ps. 17
Almighty Father, show our servicemen and women
Your unfailing love in wonderful ways.
Save them with your strength
Guard out troops as the apple of Your eye
And hide them in the shadow of your wings
Amen.
----Psalm 17:7-8
'myspace

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Awe, that is so sweet. My brother-in-law is in Afghanistan and I have friends deployed all over the place in Iraq. My nieces miss their dad very much. They watch their parents wedding DVD when they really miss him.

Judith said...

I'm so glad you posted about your nephew.

When my grandson was there, we emailed each other, by using his old email address, and mine. It is free, doesn't cost anything. He said they had to take turns at computers, so usually sent family group ones. A few times he broke through with "Instant messages", to me. I still don't know how to send those. I pray for those brave Americans, and that includes your nephew.