Sunday, January 21, 2007

Our first real snow for the season

Wow~ If you live in Cincinnati and need help believing in God, just take a good look outside. Only God himself can show such beauty. They told us we were going to get 2-4 inches of snow. And that may well be what we got but in cleaning up after it, it always seems like more.

Church was called off today. I watched it on TV instead. Well, actually I watch Schuller every Sunday anyway but I watched several others too. Kinda nice to have an unexpected day to be home. Did I get anything extra accomplished, well no..........but it was still nice to be home. It almost made me want to go out and play in it (and if the grandchildren would have been here, I may have) but I didn't. I said almost.

Instead I spent the days relaxing. I curled up with a book I got for Christmas and finished my laundry. I must have gone to the window a 100 times to look out at the beautiful snow. I baked a pineapple upside down cake and made a pot of chili. I invited the family over for dinner. (they all have four-wheeled drive vehicles) and they accepted. I love family time. When the house is full of conversation and everyone is having a good time and not worrying about life's stresses.

I used the snowblower on the driveway. (Does that count as work?) My son-in-law offered to come and help clear the drive if I needed him. I was so grateful. I like being independent but sometimes you just need to reach out when a family member offers. I was able to get the snowblower going on my own. I was glad Matt didn't have to come out in the cold to help me, even though I know he would have in a heartbeat. Thanks Buddy!

Isn't it nice to have family you can count on when you have a problem? I appreciate them so much and try not to abuse their kindness. I also try to be there when they get in a pinch too. That''s the kinds of things I always thought families should be like. Not because they felt they had to help but because the wanted to. I like that!

I hope the melted snow doesn't freeze tonight. I want to be able to get out of the driveway in the morning to go to work without worrying about sliding all over the place. If it does freeze, I'm glad most of the snow is off the driveway.

I shouldn't complain. I have been emailing a new friend in Oregon and she says it has snowed five or six times since the first of the year. Big snows like 10 and 12 inches at a time. And to top that off, they were without water for two weeks because the pipes froze, and it's the third time this winter. And even if she says she is used to it, it still sucks.

Tomorrow they say the weather should be up over freezing so most of the snow should melt in the afternoon. Face it, Cinciinnatians don't get enough snow to know how to deal with this stuff.

2 comments:

Barb said...

You spent the day exactly the way I would have and no, I would NOT go out and play in it. I'd much rather stare at it through the window, just like you did.

Judith said...

Darlene, Thank you for reading my WCO post, and taking time to email.

I didn't know who you are. Andrea and I keep in touch. Didn't know you're her Mom, but when I read all your posts, and saw your Christmas Weed Eater gift, realized I saw it before, on something Andrea shared.

I'm getting lengthy here, but maybe that's alright. I really, really like your rose, it is so beautiful, but had read the name of your blog, then remembered, oh, that's right, we have to have thorns, too.

Sure can relate about family and friends. We never know when time with them may end. I'm mending some neglected relationships now. Not their fault, mine.

I am praying for your relative who is going to the war. Ask Andrea to tell you about mine who was there.

Your positivity (new word) is so refreshing. Hope you'll write more.