Sunday, January 21, 2007

Family and Friends are Important

I've been thinking. Isn't it interesting how everyone, including me, find it important and necessary to contact people during the holidays we haven't talked to all year. We sent charistmas cards and make phone call and even get together for holiday parties and short visits. Then after the holidays have passed we all go about our merry way, back doing the same things we did before the holidays came. Most of the people we made contact with is but a memory, not to be remembered until next year.

Something I have aspired to do this new year is to stay closer to my family and friends. I am close with my immediate family but don't always do what I should with my friends and distant family. I want to try to change that. Not all of my family may be open to that, but I will at least try. That's all I can do.

I called a couple friends this week in hopes of getting together for a visit, socializing, dinner, whatever. I was quickly told that they were so busy with work, church, school and a number of other things and could we do it next week or in a couple weeks. I was disappointed but not surprised.

Life is too short. Make changes now before it is too late and you regret not keeping up with your family and friends. I will follow up with my two friends. I don't give up easily.

I reconnected with my brother last May, after an eight month absence and him not talking or returning my calls, while visiting family members in Florida. I'm glad I did. I get a lot of pleasure out of our friendship and his company. We spent the day together doing inventory at my sister's store. Working? Yes. Was is fun? Yes. Are we better people for having spent time together? Yes. He's a funny guy. We get along well together. We are more alike than either one of us want to admit.

He gave me a big scare this weekend. He didn't answer any of my calls. We were scheduled to go to work some more on the inventory and then go to dinner on Friday evening. I kept calling several numbers all day but got on answer. Long story short. He works nights and was catching up on his sleep and the cell phone was off. I was ready to go break the door down and find out if he was okay.

Don't forget to maintain regular contact with the ones you love. Even the ones out of town. If they don't call you, you call them. They may be lonely or have had a bad day and need that call. They will thank you later, hopefully.

Thanks to all my family and friends who maintain regular contact with me. I love and appreciate you one and all. Thank you.

1 comment:

Barb said...

This is the perfect post for Sunday, Darlene. I've been having the same thoughts about family and friends, especially the friends I only really stay in touch with once a year.

I'm making it a goal this year to reconnect with them throughout the year and make sure they know I think about them all year long, not just at Christmas.

Happy Sunday to you!