Thursday, December 28, 2006

A walk through our holiday season

Well, it's the 28th and we can officially say Christmas is behind us, right? That sound good but your aren't the one with two Christmas trees to take down and a heap of decoration to get down, or maybe you do. At least we can say the rush is over, well unless you enjoy the after Christmas shopping in the crowds. Not me! Bargains or not, I don't go.

My Christmas Party this was especially nice. I had it earlier than usual and the weather could not have been better. I (We)invited 20 of our friends and 12 not counting my daughter and me, came. I consider that a pretty good turnout. Everyone seemed to have a great time. And no birthday surprises this year. The treats were made by my daughter. She is a Pampered Chef rep and did a great job.

My Birthday was a quiet one this year. I spent the entire day with all the people I love, my family. A little eating and gifts, a little shopping for Christmas, a little socializing and a little relaxing. What more is there?

My friend's B-day. Spent a lovely evening with my friend. We've known each other for at least 21 years. Our daughter were friends in school. I spent a lot of time with her. Kinda like a sister. I like that. Her husband comes with the package, as did her son. They made a great dinner and provided some awesome company. I have miss socializing with them. I hope we can be close again like we used to be.

The daughters have come back together and have a lot in common. They talk regularly. I'm glad for that. They used to be quite close. When they got tired of each other they would play with the younger brother. He always though he was older then they were, or a least he wouldn't be outdone. Wow! They are all married and have children of their own. I feel old!

Christmas party for work was a bust. I went in hopes of meeting other people that work at the same company that you don't get to see any other time. I sat at a table by my self for at least an hour. I didn't know anyone, except the person I turned the invitation to. No one from my department came. Several PCA's showed up about the time I had decided to leave. I ended up staying for another hour. I may not go next year. The only entertainment was very loud music and dancing. Neither of which I enjoy.

I finally finished the sweater for my granddaughter. Turned out well. She loved it.
I finished the baseball and glove lamp. My grandson is still quite young. Not sure he liked it. I know he liked the cars movie blanket I made the and Cars movie. That's all he talked about. He got a really cool baseball game from the other grandparents. I think they both got so much, apreciation is difficult at best to see at times. They are both so blessed to have so many people around them that love them.

Christmas Eve was really nice. We came together for some more good family time. If someone told me I could have no Christmas gift and could only have family time, I would be perfectly happy. The jewel of time often slips away from us too quickly, especially the children. They are babies, 5th graders and then before you know it they are grown. Seize the moment and they say. The in-laws, my friend too, prepared a really nice dinner. Followed by Christmas eve service at church. They all went back to the in-laws, I went to see my brother across town.

The visit with my brother was a good one. I think he really needed a friend. With a new job and a new apartment and issues with his car, he had very little money to spend on Christmas presents. Pride made him stay home. I couldn't allow that to happen. Besides, he called me and knew I would come. We watched a movie and talked a little and I was off to the other side of town again. I had lots to do. Everyone was coming to my house for Christmas. Cooking, Cleaning, Wrapping those last minute gifts, More cooking.

Christmas was lovely. Lots of socializing and quality time. My favorite part. Dinner turned out well. Lots of choices. Ham, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, suckatash, sweet potato casserole, greenbean casserole, and Fran's great jello. Something for everyone. Topped of with pumpkin pie and cherry pie and even homemade chocolate chip cookies. Not much left when all was said and done. Then the gift. A great part of our Christmas. Everyone spent a lot of time thinking about each other, finding treasures, homemade and others bought, trying to please their family members. I love that part too. I wanted to post some pictures but I couldn't get it to work for me. Guess I need a tutorial from my daughter. She's pretty good at this stuff.

A few quiet days alone. The family is off to see the other family members on the other side for a few days. Grandma is waiting to see them. A safe journey to all. Another visit with my brother the day after Christmas. He sure has a way with movies. We watched two this time. I took leftovers from the Christmas meal. He loved them, as I knew he would.

And If we could only get through the holidays without the sad notes.....The memories of loved one gone....The ones God finds necessary to take home during the holiday season. Pray for my friend Grova's daughters. My friend Grova died last year during the holidays. This year her daughters are trying to get through yet another trudge. Vicki's love died of self inflicted notions.....sad.....very sad.

And last, A moment of prayer for a couple of dear souls....

Just got a call from the Prayer Chain from my church about a long time member in the hospital who is very ill and may not make it through the night. Death is a hardship at any time of the year but at Christmas time. Say a prayer for his wife, a really sweet lady who could use a prayer right now.

No comments: