Saturday, September 06, 2008

You Are Who You Hang With........

I just visited a new friend's blog. Gigi at The Throne Room. She wrote about the poem Reason, Season or a Life time. I love that poem. It's one of those poems you can read between the lines. And it stays with you more than the few minutes it takes you to read it. It makes you think about the people who inspire us....help us feel good about ourselves.....or who we can help or learn form. You find yourself going back and thinking about people who have come and gone in our lives.

I was always told, we are who we hang with. If you hang with people who are not wise, you will not be wise. If you hang with people who challenge you, you will grow wise.

I believe the wisest of all is God and anyone who follows his teaching can never go wrong. I believe he brings people into our paths to teach us and help us grow in ways that are beyond our own understanding sometimes. My friend Grova ( who passed away in her sleep two years ago) was a Hugh example of that. Where she was strong, I was weak. And where I was strong, she was week. God in his wisdom always has a plan.

Growing up with a challenging background, I was always told I didn't have worth or knowledge. I grew up believing everyone was wise and I was dumb. I'm old enough now to realize we are all wise and worthy in our own ways. We can all teach much to many, while at the same time learn plenty with an open mind.


I have worked with seniors for many, many years and I can tell you they are itching to enlighten you with their knowledge. And they have plenty! This one lady, who was 104, started her lesson of wisdom with, "I'm at the end of my path here on earth and if I don't share what I know, how can I pass on the old traditions and experiences. Thus began my many years of listening and learning.

If you go in with an open mind, they can teach you plenty, even when your not looking. I can tell you the dept of wisdom these people have, is deeper than any ocean. That 104 year old lady, Bertha, could quote EVERY bible verse, word for word. She never went to bed without reading a chapter or two, (even though she could quote it), and when she got too old to see the word, she would have someone read it to her. Often that person would be me.


Quote for the day: Befriend yourself with people you can help and teach while allowing yourself to learn and grow at the same time. (I wrote this quote)

God Bless and Good Night.

2 comments:

Gigi said...

Thank you for the nice comments in your post Darlene! I love how the Lord puts people into our lives just when we need them...and isn't it a double blessing when we can give just as much as we give?

Wonderful post and quote, my friend!

Judith said...

Your quote is so exactly right. Thanks for such an uplifting post. I read somewhere recently that the one single important thing we can give someone is to listen to them, and you seem to do this very well. I am so glad to know you.