Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I was going through some of the many books I have and came across a most interesting one; "Courage for the Chicken Hearted". It's a book of humorous and inspiring stories for confident living. Guide Post published it but it is written by Becky Freeman and a host of other writers.

My friend Grova, who died several years ago, gave it to me. This book is so like her, full of knowledge, stories, scriptures, poems and even recipes. I think they have only published one book but I sure wish they would publish another one. It's cute, uplifting and gives you food for thought. I want to say the Chicken Nuggets at the end of each chapter is my favorite part but I like it all.

I found this great poem, (the only poem in the whole book that doesn't take a chicken's prospective.) I like it because it highlights the Simple things in life. I think we all take life way too seriously, too often.

Hope this poem lightens you day. It did wonders for mine.

Simple Things
Teddy bears and rocking chairs
are some of my favorite things.
Cookie jars and shooting stars,
and robin in the spring,
Fields of flowers and April showers,
velvet grass beneath bare feet;
Gentle ran on windowpanes.]
and ice cream sundae treats.
Country folks and silly jokes,
lazy summer afternoons,
Porch swings and songs to sing
and roses in full bloom.
Autumn leaves, a crisp cool breeze,
a golden harvest moon;
Afire place, a cozy fire,
a guitar with a simple tune,
Candlelight and winter nights,
long letters from a friend.
Cinnamon smells and fairy tales,
old quilts to snuggle in.
Fireflies and apple pies,
the laughter of a child.
Believing all things are possible,
and that even angels smile.
Simple things are favorite things-
gifts from God above-
Priceless treasures money can't buy-
acquired through hearts of love.

God Bless.

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Give me those simple things any day of the week...those are the things memories are made of! What a wonderful poem that is!