Sunday, June 15, 2008

What's important and what's not.......

Interesting how important paper work is when your up to your eyeball in it. I just spent several hours sorting through papers that used to be a big part the job I had. I used to bring home several hours of paper work each night, and. now it lays in a heap on the floor, ready for the garbage.

When I quit my job 4 weeks ago, I brought home my work bag and the few items from my office. Before today I haven’t touched that bag. Funny thing is, that paperwork was of such an urgency to be completed, then you let the job go and are immediately freed from it. Does that mean the job was of no value? No I don’t think so. I believe the company thought it was asking for what they thought was of the best service for their residents. The only problems with that is that the management teams are often so far removed from the true aspects of the job that they don’t really know what is needed. We often get so wrapped up in paper work, we don’t get enough quality time with the residents.

I thought I would feel lost and worthless when I left my job, and maybe that was true for the first couple days, not any more. I thought about the residents and miss them at times but that is only because I cared.

In the first week, after posting about 10-1 2 resumes, I went on vacation to see my friend Pam in South Carolina. If anyone could build me up, she could. I spent five days with her and her husband. Both knowing my situation and knowing I would talk about it if I wanted to neither mentioned it, not once. She has a true way of making you feel the worth and value of just being yourself. She kept me busy enough to stay engaged and gave me enough space and alone time to work out what my next plan of action would be.

The hardest part of being out of work isn’t what you think it should be, the money, it’s the waiting until things start happening. I haven’t been as anxious as I thought I would be. Then again, it has only been four weeks. I have had some positive leads.

And so I began the interviewing process this week. I had three. Each followed by lunch out with an old friend, (one of which I had not seen in five years).

Now I know your supposed to be nervous when you interview, but I wasn’t. I could tell by the first interview that this was going to be one of many. The job sounded great. It wasn’t enough hours, (can you imagine I’m saying that), and it wasn’t enough money, Tt was also a lot farther from home that I want to travel every day. The AD read full time but by the time I got there they had hired someone from within and it was down to part time. Having lunch with a friend afterwords, it was nice to have someone to talk to about it.

The second one was better. She turned out to be an old coworker. I wasn’t sure I wanted to go there, but it turned out really good. The third one sounded interesting, but not what I wanted at all.

I attended a business meeting on Thursday for activity professionals and got several new leads to move on next week. As long as the leads keep coming I will remain positive and upbeat.

I used to not like change. I think the older I get the more I think like it. Or maybe it’s just that I needed a change so bad, I welcome it. The thought of getting back into working hands on, enriching the quality of lives for residents with activities sounds very satisfying to me.

I believe God has a plan. I pray daily that he will guide me in my search and help me find that job that will both enrich me in my delivery of service, while enhancing the quality of lives of the seniors I serve.

I was looking forward to going to my grandson’s T-ball game today but with the rainy weather it was cancelled. Instead I spent a quite day at home cleaning house and moving furniture around. We (my grandson and I) spent the evening together, as Saturday is date night for his parents. We played cars and watched the Cincinnati Reds Baseball game, then went out in the yard and played base ball. He is soooooo cute. He can hit that ball better at 5 than I could ever hit it.. Wonder why they have to grow up so fast?

Quote for the day is from a new book I found – “Sunsets with God”
Remember the things He has promised and that regardless of your performance today, as you give your whole heart to Him, He makes up the difference.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Dear friend in Chirst, and in blogging,

These are the most heart connecting words I've yet to read on your blog. I so admire your steadfast faith, and your approach to job hunting, or whatever is going on in your life. I do appreciate the importance of needed material things, but you so beautifully show how much more important faith and family and friends are. I have no doubt that our Lord will indeed "make up any difference" in your life that you may need. You were so wise to focus on trusted friends, and the fleeting moments of being with your grandchild.