Thursday, August 30, 2007

Using my talents to help prepare for the big wedding

Interesting how we all have different talents. Most of which we leave dormit until the need arises to put them to use.


Take for instance: I've known how to sew for more than thirty years. I like to sew but often let the use of the computer, work or taking care of the house take up my time, rather than let my creative juices flow. It usually isn't until something motivates me back to something I really enjoy and get a lot of satisfaction out of that we come back.


My daughter and her whole family are in the wedding of her brother in law in about a week. And as you can probably guess the dresses that were purchased don't fit either my daughter, a bride's maid or my granddaughter, a flower girl. Oh, they are close but you know how it is, they would look and feel a lot better with a bit of tweaking.

Feeling as confident and as capable and the girl they would hire at the bridal store, I volunteered to give it my best shot.


My granddaughter's dress was a bit tight at the top due to a growth spurt over the last several months. At eleven, she is growing like a weed. She is taller too, but the dress was a little long but now fits fine. With only a week until the wedding, and the summer growth spurt behind her, the dress should fit fine for the wedding.


As for my daughter's dress, there is more tweaking to be done. Her being the shortest one in the wedding party, the dress was several inches too long, even at being a two piece. I think I have the length concern resolved but I'm not sure what we will do about the strapless, wire-in, pre-shaped, somewhat ill-fitting top. I wonder why they charge so much for dresses that they need to have someone alter to even come close to fitting.


I'm off tomorrow and hope to spent some time making head way on helping her feel as comfortable as possible wearing her beautiful green, expensive, bride's maid dress.


With that being said, I can't wait to see my little grandson in a tux. One that will match his father's, his grandfather's and the groom's, his uncle Andy.


I look forward to having a picture of the family 'all dressed up'. They haven't had a picture taken in a really long time and life is way too short for that not to happen as often as can be. After all, children grow up over night.

Quote for the day: God gives us all talent. If not used, that talent will die in the vines.

God Bless, Good Night.

1 comment:

Judith said...

This is truly a "bloom where you are planted". and it's very loving and caring that you're helping with the wedding this way.

Want to thank you, too, for helping me with job search. See, you are also good at encouraging
the discouraged, and that's a fine talent, too.