Saturday, March 03, 2007

Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole

Well I started out trying to do something nice. I called my brother and offered to take him to his favorite restaurant for his birthday. The dinner was really nice. The company great. We both left the restaurant feeling kinda full and even a little sick. Later that evening we realize we both came away with a touch of food poison. Thankfully it didn't hit my brother as bad as it did me. His birthday isn't until tomorrow but you only get one birthday a year and it would suck to be sick on your birthday. I was up all night feeling really ruff. I laid around most of the day.

I was all better by the time the grands got here a 6. I so enjoy spending time with them. They put life in this house like nothing else can. We did dinner, individuals choice. We watched Peter Pan (one of the little guys favorite movies), played restaurant and had a splash party in the BIG bath tub. They both got a little carried away with that but why not. Then watched Gordy while playing with clay until mom and dad got home. Yep. A good time was had by all.

Didn't get many chores done today, but there is always tomorrow. The laundry is done and the bills are paid. At least that is something.

I mentioned a broccoli recipe in a post and was ask to put it in my blog. Thanks Barb at chelseamorning@blogspot.com for asking.

BROCCOLI-CHEESE-RICE CASSEROLE

1 c. rice or 1 sm. pkg. minute rice
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion
1 (12 oz.) pkg. frozen broccoli
1/4 c. butter
1 (8 oz.) jar Cheez Whiz
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can mushrooms, sliced; optional

Cook rice; saute onion and celery in butter; add cheese, soup, and broccoli with rice and onion/celery butter. Put in greased 9 x 13 casserole pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*If you don't like the Cheez Whiz any cheese that melts easily works fine. I like using Cheddar

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I'm sure those kids love it at your house - my goodness, you really let them have some fun. I agree. What's a little water all over every surface in the bathroom! LOL

Thank you, thank you for posting this recipe. I'm printing it out right this minute.

It's scary to pick up food poisoning in a restaurant - makes you wonder what's going on in the kitchen. Sorry that happened to you.

Andrea said...

The kids loved playing in the tub - Mom is always too worried about water everywhere to let them splash much. I guess that's what grandma's house if for! :)

Darlene Schacht said...

Hi Darlene, I'm Darlene too, but don't get confused, it's not you writing yourself. :) I guess you know that. lol

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, that's too bad. I was sick on my 40th birthday, and my husband had a major bash for me. Everyone said that it was the best party ever, but yours truly was sick. Argh.

That casserole sounds like one that I'd love. I make broccoli cheese soup which also has chicken broth, broccoli and cheese in it, and I'm loving that stuff. Thanks.