Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Grandparenting is sweet...No thorns here.

I decided shortly after the christmas holiday that I need to spend more time with the grandchildren. I called my daughter and proposed my idea. A plan was set in motion at least for the granddaughter. We would spend two hours together every week on Wednesdays. I would pick her up from an after school activity and take her home two hours later.

The first week we just hung out at home making plans of future visits. We cooked dinner, worked on her homework and watched the Tube. The time went by too quickly but was a real good start for the new year.

Plans for the little guy is still forthcoming. One step at a time.

The second visit was spent at the library. A place we both could spend a week in without even thinking about it. We got a movie, "Yours, Mine and Ours" and several books. She wanted to rush to my house and view as much of the movie we could before it would be time for her to go home. As usual she didn't want to turn the movie off but that wasn't unusual. Another sweet visit with a beautiful soul.

No set schedule for the little guy yet but we had a nice evening visit on Friday night. I babysat both grands. I think having grandchildren gives another chance to get it right. Not that I feel I did a bad job with my daughter. Being a grandparent gives us an opportunity to focus more on the person rather than the everyday stresses in getting the parenting job done. The hard stuff is left up to the parent while grandparents can focus on some of the fun stuff. I like that.

I just spent another delightful couple hours with my granddaughter. How fast they grow up. At 10 she acts like she is at least 20. We went to the book store and had a Chai Tea. A first for her. I don't think she liked it as much as she had hoped but you wouldn't have known it by her attitude. We sat for 15 or 20 minutes looking at magazines and talked as if we were both adults. Then after a 20 minute browse through the rest of the store and a few treasures found it was off to take her home. Another nice visit. I hope we will always feel the love and admiration that was felt between us tonight, forever. The one on one attention brings out the beautiful person she is and the great job her mom is doing in raising her.

I''m beginning to going to look forward to our Wednesday visits. I have to come up with another good idea for next weeks visit. If your reading this, I'm open for suggestions.

No comments: