Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Blessed beyond measure

Okay, can you tell I've been busy? With the holidays in full swing, I think lots of us are busier than we would like to be.

Thanksgiving was really great. We have so much to be thankful for. Nice quality time with the family. Everyone contributed to preparing the meal. I like it when it is a combined effort. Everyone in a good mood. Lots of football for the men, crafts with the grandchildren, even counting and rolling money. And with the plan ahead, there was plenty of food for the evening meal. Isn't family time great?!

The family were off to West Virginia to spend some quality time with other family members. I had to work. I did get some holiday shopping done after work. A good time to go. All the early birds were finished finding their bargains but there were still plenty of bargains left to be found.

I even put up the christmas tree. I don't think I have ever put the tree up so early. I always call my daughter to have my granddaughter come help decorate the tree with me. It's nice to see the kids get excited about the decorating. We put christmas music on and in the past, my granddaughter has taken home more ornaments that she puts on my tree. This year I don't think she took home even one. I was almost disappointed. I was surprised, even the young grandchild, who is three, got into the ornaments, (after it they were hanging on the tree) taking notice of a pirate, a lion and a bell. Pretty cool.

The family came over for lunch this past Sunday, (I love it that we take turns with that) and my grandson noticed that there were gifts under the christmas tree. He ask if it were christmas and could he open the gifts. Had I known the explanation were going to be so difficult, I may have put the gifts in the closet until he left.

I love to see the kids at christmas time. If we could all retain the unconditional love, the blind faith that Santa will provide for their every wish, the hope, the joy that seems to get lost somewhere before we become adults, wouldn't this be an unbelievable world.

But instead, we have Iraq and the duty to protect, The crime and the need to lock your door and watch over your children to keep them safe, the financial woes that take some of the joy away, and the reality that we can't have all that we want. We are lucky and blessed to have a warm home, a dependable car, a loving family and friends, and a job to keep us all afloat and well grounded.

I still like the idea of that homemade christmas where little is a lot because you know your family member put a piece of themselves into the gift. Where the gift of time with the family is the best gift of all. I'd give up any gift I'd receive this year for true quality time with the family. My daughter and son-in-law came over the other day and help with a few things I couldn't do myself. Words can't even describe the appreciation I felt for the caring touch they put on the things they knows made life easier for me. Thanks Guys! And spending some one on one time with the little guy was special too.

So when you add it all up, we are all blessed beyond measure, even when there are a few thorns in our lives. God is always with us and watching over us and will never give us more than we can handle.

No comments: