Friday, October 27, 2006

A fine day for ducks!

Where is all this rain coming from? If I were a fish or a duck I would be happy as a lark. But I'm not. I 'm wet! And where do all those people hide who don't know how to drive when it isn't raining? It seems they all like coming out on the rainy days. Or maybe they are there, their skills just bite the dust on a rainy day. Makes me want to go home and stay there. It took 40 minutes for a 15 minute ride home from work today.

We had a Halloween party at work today. Mentally challenged adults are just big kids. It was really great to see everyone having a good time. Even some of the stiff shirts got involved. I loved it. We had a300 pound Batman wanting to show us how he could fly, a devil that was all smiles, (he doesn't talk), a vampire, complete with fangs, a bride in a rumpled dress and a host of other costumes. What fun everyone had. If life could only be that easy. ???

We made lunch at work for our clients. We all participated in making it. Turned out pretty good. We had an interesting menu:

Licking tongues, (bagels with cream cheese, a piece of Bologna tucked into the hole of the bagel to represent a tongue)
Spiders, (ritz crackers with peanut butter using pretzels for legs and raisins for eyes)
A finger ( a piece of white stick cheese with a piece of green pepper for the fingernail) that really did look like a finger laying on that plate
A witches broom ( stick pretzels and fruit roll-ups by the foot) that were cut into small pieces and wrapped around one end of the Pretzel (A pain in the neck to make) but really cute.
We added pretzel, chips, pumpkin bread and carrots.
We had bananas dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts or sprinkles for dessert.
A good time was had by all! And they didn't even remember that is was raining outside.

My friend Pam in South Carolina sent this to me. I think it's a great way to look at our relationship with God from the pumpkins point of view.. ..... After all , it is the Halloween season, isn't it?

Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff-- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside you to shine for all the world to see.

There is a lot about the current and coming seasons I don't like, fall and winter. Namely the bad weather, the naked tree and bushes and the rain and the snow. But there are a lot of things I like. I like the holidays, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think the holidays help move us closer to the things that really matter in our lives. Our relationship with God, our families, the children, even the children at heart. The holidays help us feel that warm and fuzzy feeling we hope to keep all year round. The holidays help keep us grounded and help us realize how thankful we should be for all the blessing we have been given.

I was talking with my daughter the other day. Say a prayer, that darn house of theirs still hasn't sold. She suggested a homemade Christmas this year. I love the idea. I like making things for people because I think you give a piece of yourself when you take the time to make something. I like getting things other people have made. I think we apprecite it more homemade. I guess I better get on it. Christmas is only 58 days away. Can you believe it?

But let's get back to October. Halloween isn't even over yet. I like watching the grandchildren delight in all the excitement and the CANDY. My granddaughter will thell you that the candy is
the best part. I think the best part is watching them. They're sooooo cute.

It's still raining out. I know God has reasons for when it rains and how much we get but God isn't two days long enough this round? Tonight is a good night to stay home and curl up with a good book (if I could get away from the computer long enough). I have about 4 books that has been calling my name for several months. Or that homemade Christmas....hmmm.....projects............

Have a blessed evening.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sounds like a great party!! Glad to hear everyone was pitching in. And I love that pumpkin analogy. I've heard that before but it's so true! :)