Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Where does the time go?

I so totally let April get away from me. And May is well on the way of getting away. They say the older we get the faster the time gets away from us. Funny, I don't feel old, tired sometimes, but not old.

The last full week in April, I got to get away to Florida. Something I have waited almost a year to do. I got to see my best friend Pam and her new home in Land O Lakes. She had foot surgery while I was there. It was nice sitting around, catching up. I spent the day with my sister. I haven't seen her in almost two years. That was sweet too! The only draw back was, one of the reasons I wanted to go to Florida was to spend some time with my brother. I ended up only getting about an hour and a half with him. I feel bad about that. Maybe it was God's way of saying, don't get your hopes up, or leave it alone, he's happy. I can move forward and stop worrying about him. I have missed him so. I do feel better that he is happy. He doesn't like his job much ( he at least has a job) but he gets to spend quality time with his grandchildren and he really seems to enjoy that.

It was a great time but coming back I have to wonder if it was worth it. Getting away, I was promised that the state mandated paper would be picked up where I left it and kept up while I was away. For the record, don't believe everything people tell you. Nothing was done. I'm still not caught up.The days at work are so busy and crazy, they are but a blur when I try to go back and look at the day when I get home.

I've been back for a week and a half and haven't seen the residents yet. Oh, I've seen them, but not really seen them. I want to spend quality time with them but can't seem to get away form the computer. I have weeks of state mandated paper work to catch up on, the monthly calendar, the newsletter, assessments, care plans, signs, birthday list, a Mother's Day luncheon this Saturday, and that's not even the half of it. May is an important month for seniors. It's National Nursing Home Week. Our facility plans lots of great stuff in May in celebration of the elderly. We have a full week of celebration which includes Senior Prom that is well into planning. Everything is crazy now but will be behind me in a week.

I know it seems like I am whining, and maybe I am, but I do love my job. I just don't like the stress of some of my team member not doing their share. I gave three staff members a job to cover a box with with paper and put a sign on it for a ballot box, by the end of the day, so the resident's could use them as voting boxes for a king and queen for our upcoming prom. At the end of the day, no boxes were anywhere to be found after the staff left. I did find one (one!) box. As beautiful as it was, it was only one bax. I need four!

Anyone ever been to a Prom for Senior Citizens. I haven't. I'm looking forward to it. The residents are getting so excited. They have been being fitted with donated prom dresses. I can't wait to see them all dressed up. I have a bunch of volunteers from the local high school football and soccer teams coming to have pictures taken with the residents and maybe even a little wheelchair dancing. I cant wait to join in on the fun.

But first, the Mother's Day Luncheon. That should be really nice and rewarding for the families too. I know, one day at a time.

My quote for the day: "Take life one day at a time, you'll live longer."

Thanks for stopping by and letting me bend your ear.
God Bless and have a good night.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Hello again, dear friend.

Your post here could have been written by me. What a shame, such a capable and loving person, like you are, discouraged because
management allows other employees
to not follow through with their work, especially the State and federal paperwork. These are very big reasons I may never do nursing again.

The frustration of not getting to spend needed time with the patients eventualy takes the heart of it. So I wish you well in dealing with this. The ones who let the needed work just set, should at least be told about it.