Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Change is good, right?

Ever had one of those weeks at work, where the stress is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I'm moving into my second week of one. One of the the part time activity aides, that worked 32 hours, gave notice she could only work every other weekend She's coming to the end of her school and has labs and co-oping. I was really okay with that. I knew it was coming. Then a full time aide on the memory unit, gave notice last Wednesday (not even a full two week notice). She said she wants to begin living her life, not just existing. She wants to do some traveling and maybe open a business with some friends in North Carolina. (I want to do some traveling)

The week ended with the State coming in on a complaint on Friday. We were kinda, sorta, expecting them because of a discharge on a resident with some behavior issues that were harmful to other residents. They ended up finding more than was bargained for. The boss was in a terrible mood all day. Those are the kind of days you really want to hide somewhere.

After a fairly quiet weekend, I was all ready for a calmer, much less stressful week. So far that hasn't happened. Monday was a typical busy, crazy Monday. It ended with a lovely dinner with my daughter and the grands. Today. Today was just tuff! Another girl in my department, called today, (she was scheduled off today), said if the one girl won't be working on the unit, she may want to transfer to another department, where she also has experience. ( In my meeting with the boss, I know this isn't going to happen because he will not ok the transfer.) Knowing the girls asking, maybe that's a good thing.

I topped the day off with the boss calling me into his office to tell me my department was falling apart, (well, dah!). Truthfully the remaining five or ten minutes in his office was somewhat a blur. Something about forgetting to run the ad and I may need to come in extra to run some programming. I think the real reason I was brought into the office was because the activity aide that was leaving was the first one for the facility and he wasn't ready to let her go yet and needed to vent.

When I left the office I should have gone in to finished my paper work. Instead, I went down on the units with the residents and joined the activity in progress. The residents always lift my spirits and re-affirm the reason I love my job, even when I am having a bad day.

When I left work tonight, I have to say, I was still dragging, but I did feel better hanging out with the residents. They help me put things into prospective.

Tomorrow is another day. And I believe all things happen for a reason. Maybe this is God's way of making me see things in a different light. I used to hate change, but maybe change is just what we need. Our programming could use a boost.

On a good note, I had two new part timers, students, in the orientation class today. They both start this week on the evening shift. They are really young and green but everybody has to start somewhere.

I haven't posted much lately. Maybe no one will even read this, but I feel better. I usually come in and read other people's troubles and go aways without posting because my problems seem small in comparison. Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

Today's quote is actually a bible verse: "If God takes you to it, He will see you through it".

God Bless. Good Night.

2 comments:

Judith said...

Absolutely, Change is good. Anything that isn't changing, isn't living. But with that said,
overload is still hard. How I wish you had more activity staff who care as much for helping the patients, as you do.

This almost sounds like talking to myself, but please do not be hard on yourself. The world and some uncaring employees will do enough of that to you.

It is time to put on some soothing melodies. Soak your tootsies, and soothe those weary muscles, too, and read an uplifting book, or call someone who really loves you.

Then you'll be ready for another day of the work the Lord made for you.

Hope it helps knowing I am praying for you.

Gigi said...

Just trust that your needs will be met...

I hope the last couple of weeks since your post have brought you encouragement! I pray that your spirit has been uplifted!

Peace to you...