Monday, June 02, 2008

Work and God's plan

I believe God has a plan for all of us. I think He stirs us up sometime to allow us to focus on what’s important in life. I think working hard at a job is important however, a job that continues to suck the life out of you, pushing you to spend more and more time away from family and the things you love doing is not the right job.

I quit my job three weeks ago and. I spent the first week catching up on some long lost sleep, and feeling sorry for my self, wondering if I had done the right thing in leaving when I didn’t have another job to cover the missing income that would surely be missed.

As I sit and wonder what the next move would be in my search for a new job, I can’t help but to let my mind drift in all sorts of directions. Knowing that retirement is not an option at this point in my life and with the internet at my finger tip, the search is a lot easier than it once was. Is this the time to make a change in the direction I want to take?

No, I want to go back to being an activities director but there is a problem…..

As an Activity Director for seniors, the job field is not a big one, and what is out there fills fast. I tell myself I’m not worried because God has a plan for me. On days when I go into the computer and see several listings for my job qualification, I feel encouraged in God’s plan and am willing to wait for the direction He wants me to take. Then several days go by without a call or response and I pray that God won’t have me wait too long and become too discouraged in my search.

In that prayer for patience, I am moved to get up and make that follow-up phone call, attack that closet that has been begging for attention or take that long overdue walk in the beautiful sunshine. And if I am still discouraged, I call a friend to reconnect, go to lunch. It’s been too long and I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks, Pauline, Linda, Carolyn. I even took a long weekend with my dear friend Pam in South Carolina. Thanks Pam.

Life is too short to be in a job that continued to take advantage of my willingness to work as many hours as it takes to get the job done. I tell myself if I don’t do it, who will? Who will be there for these wonderful seniors, who have worked so hard all their lives and deserve the loving care and quality service I can provide. We can all be replaced.

When I would come home after a long tiring day, the sun long past setting, I would wonder why I have let yet another day get away from me, without much to show for it, I would feel guilty that I have again not done what I could for my own home and family. Not fulfilling my family obligations, especially to the grandchildren, who seem to be growing up right in front of my nose. And my house. Oh my house. It calls out to that motivated, energetic person who moved in ten and a half years ago, egger to spend quality time and energy making it beautiful, inside and out, (I’ll be back!)

Keep me in your prayers. I’m not discouraged about not having a job, yet. It’s only been three weeks and I still have much to do around here. Besides, I believe the scripture that

….If God takes us to it, He will see us through it.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Hello again,

Happy, happy to connect again.
I can so relate to what you're struggling with. Will pray that you get good rest, so you're able to make good choices and decisions,
and God will take care of the rest.

I thought my problem was not enough sleep because of work schedule change, and a bum knee, and being drained by the cat allergy. But after several days off, realize I'm in serious burn out mode. It just sneaks up. How sad, that we caring professional people take care of everybody but ourselves.