Monday, May 21, 2007

Change is good.....

I can't believe that it has been almost 10 days since my last post.

I have been really busy making some well deserved changes in my life. "It's about time." I used to hate change. I used to have to take time to move slowly into change but I think if we don't embrace change, we can really find ourselves getting into a rut. Even getting depressed if we're not careful.

I really like my new job. I have been spending a lot of my blogging hours at work, learning the job and sitting in training. The days have been really long and busy, packed full of new beginnings and lots of information. So much so, I can hardly contain it all at times.

I spent the first week and two days in training and I am told I am not finished yet. I have never taken a job before that they did such complete training. Most of the time it's a couple days and they throw you out to the wolfs. I bet more people would hold jobs longer if they knew what they were getting into at the get-go. I know I would have turned my last job down flat if I knew just what I was getting my self into.

My boss is really super. In my job, I am the director of one of the "neighborhoods. I have a really good team of 18-20 staff members in place, 24-7. They are starved for attention and direction but most of all appreciation. For the most part, they do a really good job working with the residents.

Weather I want to admit it or not, I really like working in the nursing home setting. Even though they call this place an assisted living community, it's basically a nursing home. I feel I am back in my element again. There is something to be said for that.

Most of the job consist of keeping the paper work in order, (and there is a LOT of paperwork) and managing the staff, or the lack there of. Again, nothing I am afraid of and haven't done before.

I worked the weekend and was scheduled off today but went in anyway. It's employee appreciation week and my staff needed appreciated. Besides, I am scheduled of later in the week and am going on a long over visit to see my dear friend Pam over the Memorial Day Holiday.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

And while I am in the mood for change, I joined the YMCA. Something else I have thought about doing for a very long time. I decided it was time to get off my butt and do it. I may never hit the exercise room but I love swimming and that is excellent exercise.


Besides, my daughter and family joined too. That means I know someone going n. I think that's the hardest part about joining a new club. You feel all alone at first.




I went the other night by my self. I enjoyed the swim but it was really lonesome. I spoke to several people but it was a quick hi, beginning and end of conversation. I went tonight and that same swim was just delightful because my daughter and the grandchildren there. With them there I was motivated to swim more. And the interaction with the family was priceless. Besides, my daughter was able to get some swimming laps in without worrying about the kids. Wow, those kids are really good in the water! I thought the little guy would be a little afraid. Not him. It's nice to know they aren't afraid of the water. That may come in handy some day.




When my daughter was growing up, we spent a lot of time in the pool. At least 4 or 5 days out of 7. We both grew to love the water. I have missed it. I have missed the valued exercise this old body needs and swimming can provide.






Quote for the day:
In a time of change, it is the learner who inherits the future.




God Bless.








1 comment:

T with Honey said...

I wish I had found the same happiness with my new job that you found at yours. You've got me thinking... maybe change would be good for me too.